Friday, August 6, 2010

Pictures (part six): Miyajima and Hiroshima

Well, this is going to be a shorter post today. Relatively shorter, anyway.

This post corresponds to this post for Miyajima, this post for Hiroshima, and this post for pictures.


If you don't know what this is by now, I haven't been fangirling enough.


Even the deer wanted to eat momiji manjuu.


You have no idea how much I wish I could be on that boat. Because SERIOUSLY. SO COOL.


This was right by the shrine which the huge sea torii belonged to. I have no idea what it was, except that it was sacred for some reason.

It's kind of creepy, in my opinion.


This's the back of the shrine. Notice that the water's already receded.

Also, there were tiny crabs all over the place.




Aaaaand that's all the pictures you get of awesome views, 'cause my camera is pretty terrible.


That enshrined piece of driftwood. SO COOL. (I actually took a bunch of pictures of this, but I figured that most people wouldn't want to look at more than one.)


Because I cannot post enough pictures of this torii.


Here's a pagoda that was on top of a hill that I climbed and nearly fell down. (The nearly falling down was my fault, for the record. Mostly.)


That tanuki is smoking.

Also, robots.

I don't think this needs any further explanation.


So as we were walking around as the sun was setting, we came across these deer, who apparently thought that the sign at this shop was tasty.


Then a little foreigner kid showed up to scold them loudly in English.

Kid: No! Bad deer! Don't eat paper!
Deer: [IGNORE]


Then they started fighting over who got to eat the paper.


This is a guardian lion wearing someone's glasses. No further explanation necessary.


Tiny shrine! (You can't see particularly well from this picture, but it was in a little pond, so you had to cross over a stone bridge to get to it.)



And here are some close-ups.


And here's the back of it. (You can see a little bit of the pond in this picture.)


Futons! We slept on futons. I really like futons. So much easier to make than normal beds. Also, they're pretty ridiculously comfortable.


Yes, that is a jellyfish. At my feet. Because the tide went out which allowed me to...


...walk down to the giant torii. Have I mentioned how much I love this torii? I love this torii so much. I would undoubtedly marry this torii, if I didn't think that Itsukushima Shrine would probably object.


As I mentioned before, people stuck coins in between the barnacles for luck.



When they couldn't find spots in the barnacles, they just stuck the coins in breaks in the wood of the torii.


A stepping stone path which you can only use when the tide's out.


Itsukushima Shrine, when the tide's out.



And here's the Atomic Dome again, 'cause that's the only picture I have from Hiroshima.

Today's the 65th anniversary of the atom bomb being dropped on Hiroshima, if you weren't aware. This was the first year that the U.S. sent a representative to the annual memorial ceremony in Hiroshima. Small steps, I suppose.

In any case, I don't have many photos left, so my guess is that I'll only have one post left, maybe two. They'll go up...at some point. Yeah. See how good I am with schedules when I don't have to keep notifying my parents that I haven't died in a ditch somewhere?

No comments:

Post a Comment