Wednesday, June 30, 2010

This post is actually a bunch of conversations strung together

So last night, when I went to take a shower, there was no hot water. Not a big deal, 'cause it was hot and I would have taken a cold shower anyway, but kind of strange, since the hot water's never run out before.
When I got home today after school...
Host mom: Oh, by the way, last night did only water come out of the shower?
Me: ....what?
HM: When you took a shower last night, did only water come out?
Me: ....yes...? Water came out...? Um...
HM: No, I mean only water came out, right?
Me: Yes....?
HM: But not お湯 (hot water)?
Me: OH WAIT, when you were saying "water" (水) you meant "cold water" (冷たい水)right?
HM: ...that's what "water" means.
Me: [headwall]
In any case it turned out that there's a special hot water button and I didn't press it so the problem won't occur again.
Why in three years of Japanese did no one ever tell me that 水 only refers to cold water? AUGH.

Also, today we had our meeting with our residential director so we had to speak English for about an hour (and we all failed spectacularly as usual).
Guy in my class: [to I-san (pronounced EE-san), whose name isn't really I-san but we call him that] You know, your voice is really different in English.
I-san: What? What do you mean? Isn't it the same?
Guy: No, you've got...you've got, like, an accent in English.
[I-san was born in Russia, for the record.]
I-san: Okay?
Me: And you sound a lot more sarcastic in English.
Guy: And your voice is lower.
Me: Everyone's voice is lower in English. Mine drops an octave and a half or something.
I-san: Yeah, I know. Every time you start speaking English, I think you're a man.
Me: [headdesk]
Good to know I only sound female in Japanese.

Also, today we were learning how to say "there is no___more___than__." And somehow it turned into a complimenting contest.
B-san: There is no person who is better at dancing than I-san.
I-san: There is no person who is better at flattery than B-san.
F-san: There is no person in this class who is sexier than S-san.
S-san: In this class? How about in the world?
Me: There is no person in this class who is better at conversing in Japanese than A-san.
A-san: There is no person who is better at finishing her homework than Cal.
Sensei: WHAT KIND OF COMPLIMENT IS THAT?

Also, had to cut up my reading 'cause my sensei decided it was too long. SADNESS. I cut the paragraph with Seiji soliloquizing about getting a part time job and the radio girl maybe being called a beautiful woman instead of a beautiful girl. Now I just need to write up 内容質問 and then I'm done!

Okay, I'm off to read more 「来訪者」 (still hoping for a kidnapping) and maybe some 「デュラララ!!」 if I'm lucky.

P.S. In response to the question about bandanas, nobody wears them. Seriously. Barely anyone even wears hats or hair bands. They all carry umbrellas instead. And since I ALWAYS wear something on my head, I stick out like a sore thumb. I guess this is the problem with having crazy hair in a society where pretty much everyone's hair is poker straight.

P.P.S. オパル、警笛警笛ピピピのピ。誠二は本当に狂っていると気付いたのは血の付いた服を着ながら、のんびりラーメンを食べている時だ。怖い!

P.P.P.S. Yummy things I ate today:
spicy potatoes (in the cafeteria; they are seriously amazing)
renkon (lotus root, according to my host mom) tempura
satsuma imo tempura
myouga (YUUUUUUUMMM)
all of dinner in fact

P.P.P.P.S. Apparently I make some very strange faces when I'm talking to people. One of my classmates told me that I make faces like an anime character. Another one of my classmates starts cracking up just sitting across the table from me. I don't know. Maybe it's 'cause my Japanese isn't as good as everyone else's, so I have to compensate somehow?

My thinking face looks something like this: >:I

(That's the face that gets laughed at the most.)

1 comment:

  1. Aaaaw, don't worry. I always think you're a girl when you speak English and only sometimes a guy when speaking Japanese.

    ReplyDelete